Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

NYC Mayor Eric Adams says he'd 'love' to meet with incoming Trump border czar: 'Cancel me'


NYC Mayor Eric Adams and former acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Tom Homan (Getty Images/AP)
NYC Mayor Eric Adams and former acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Tom Homan (Getty Images/AP)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

New York City Mayor Eric Adams on Tuesday said he would “love to” meet with incoming Trump administration border czar Tom Homan about resolving the city’s illegal immigration problems.

The Democratic leaders of several sanctuary cities across the country have expressed strong opposition to President-elect Donald Trump’s proposed plans for mass deportations. However, Mayor Adams said during a press conference that he would take a different approach.

“Those who are here, committing crimes, robberies, shooting up police officers, raping innocent people, have been a harm to our country, I want to sit down and hear their plan on how we are going to address them,” he said. “Those are the people I am talking about and I would love to sit down with the border czar and hear his thoughts on how we are going to address those who are harming our citizens.”

When asked if the city should cooperate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers, Mayor Adams cited the stances of past major Democratic leaders on the topic.

“I want you to all go back and Google Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama,” he said. “Google what they said about those who commit crimes in our city and what they said in our country. They said ‘those that commit crimes need to get out right away.’ That was their position. This is not a new position.”

He went on to condemn the impact of "cancel culture" on political discussions, saying he is not afraid of potential backlash from his constituents.

Well, cancel me because I’m going to protect the people of this city,” the mayor said.

Homan on Monday said during an appearance on Fox News that he was aware of the offer and would be open to a meeting with Mayor Adams.

“I’ve just been notified he wants to sit down and meet with me,” he said. “I’m going to meet with him and I’m willing to meet with anybody to help make their communities safer.”

Mayor Adams has repeatedly voiced concerns about the city’s ability to accommodate an influx of migrants, saying last year the additional expenses to support such individuals would “destroy” New York City.

The mayor in September was indicted on allegations he accepted illegal foreign campaign donations. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul stopped short of calling for Mayor Adams to resign following the indictment, but suggested he take a “few days” to think.

“This indictment is the latest in a disturbing pattern of events that has, understandably, contributed to a sense of unease among many New Yorkers," the governor said at the time.

Mayor Adams has both denied any wrongdoing and said he does not plan to resign.

Follow Jackson Walker on X at @_jlwalker_ for the latest trending national news. Have a news tip? Send it to jacwalker@sbgtv.com.

Loading ...